Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Ding Dong the Witch is Dead!

Ding, Dong, the Witch is DEAD!

Ding, Dong, the Wicked Witch is dead!!!

Hey all you Peak Freakers, time to celebrate! The wicked witch is dead!

Finally! Finally!! The SUV is dead.

Check out this article from the New York Times about the closing of the last of the plants making SUVs.

Obviously it is unfortunate when autoworkers lose their jobs.

But at least now the Peak Oil message is getting through.

It doesn't work to have a whole country full of soccer moms driving around in 6 or 7 thousand pound steel beasts.

I guess America is finally getting what it deserves. This is exactly the outcome that the US government carefully planned for the last 34 years!!!

Yeah! Aren't you impressed?

Remember a few years ago there was that tax rule that gave you a break if the vehicle weighed OVER 6 THOUSAND POUNDS!!!

That was about the stupidest thing the government could have done.

I remember all sorts of wanna-be's all of a sudden buying Hummers and huge crew cab trucks and anything else they didn't need that weighed over 6 thousand.

It was insane. That just helped the SUV to crash and burn.

People were stupid enough to drive a 6 thousand pound SUV three miles to the store and back and then they wondered why they were getting so fat and they spent so much money every month on gasoline.

Make no mistake. The death of the SUV is a direct result of Peak Oil.

If oil had not peaked in the USA in 1971, there would still be plenty of cheap fuel and the SUVs would be selling like hotcakes because obviously Americans prefer the increased visibility you get when driving a big, tall SUV and the convenience of bringing a whole truck full of junk along with them everyday, everywhere.

No more of that, huh?

I've had my share of SUVs just like most Americans.

Chevy Blazer. 700 horsepower. 8 miles per gallon.

Dodge Durango. 12 miles per gallon.

Dodge 1500. 12 miles per gallon.

Ford E350. 8,500 pounds. V10 engine. 15 miles per gallon.

Even though about 80 percent of the miles I drove on those vehicles since 1975 were work-related miles and much of the time I had the vehicle full of "tools," I still have no legitimate rationalization for the other 20% of the miles I drove in a big SUV.

I started driving an SUV in 1975.

Nobody. I mean nobody drove SUVs then.

My friends all drove Porsches. (remember the song? Janis Joplin?). They thought I was weird, or stupid for driving a big beast.

I remember being so amused when people started driving SUVs. It wasn't usually because they needed to carry a whole load of lumber or concrete finishing tools or motocross bikes. Lots of people just got tired of driving shitty sedans with crappy acceleration and no creature features.

I remember when chicks used to complain about SUVs because they were "hard to park."

Well, the girls got over that a long time ago.

The death of the SUV is going to be a big blow to lots of folks for lots of reasons.

I guess some of the Nannys that drive kids to private school in Newport Beach every morning are going to have to adapt. No more Cadillac Escalades and Chevy Yukons!

Good luck selling your SUV!!! I got rid of mine a couple of years ago.

By the way....Pop quiz. Do you know where the closest electrical outlet is to your workplace where you can plug in your new PHEV? Hmmm......

I wonder how Arnold is coming along with that "hydrogen highway" up and down California. ;-)

Enjoy the crash after the Peak!

No comments: